Monday, April 28, 2014

Forgiveness

  I have been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately and what it means to me. I think forgiveness is such a strong and important trait to learn and to have. We're human and we're flawed. We're going to get hurt by others and we're going to do the hurting some too. We need to apologize when we should and we need to forgive.

Forgiveness means to stop feeling anger toward someone who has done something wrong and to stop blaming them. Matthew 18:22 says that we should forgive those who have wronged us not seven times but up to seventy times seven. Wise forgiveness knows that while yes we need to forgive someone; often changes need to be made. If someone hurts you, you can forgive them but you can also say that you don't want to be around them anymore.

Forgiveness is saying that I'm making the decision to not let that affect me anymore. Forgiveness is a letting go of the pain that we've been holding onto. Do not be confused; you're not forgetting, you're deciding to not let the past weigh on you anymore. I've heard the expression "forgive and forget" many times but the truth is we aren't going to forget and I don't think we should. I don't think God forgets our sins. I think he knows what we've done but he loves us in spite of our sin. God separates us from our sin, He chooses to let them go.

Forgiveness is saying that there's pain or hurt and it's been weighing on me and I'm making the decision to take that off. I don't claim to be the expert of forgiveness or to have it all figured out but I do know this; forgiveness is hard, but I can not imagine walking around holding onto hurt and anger and hatred that must be so tiring. That would be even harder

Maybe there's someone you need to forgive, maybe you're holding onto something that you need to let go of. I'm praying for you. Don't let the sadness and hurt steal another day from you; what a shame that would be. You are too precious and valuable to be hanging on to what hurt you. Find freedom in forgiveness.

XOXO,

K

Matthew West "Forgiveness"

It’s the hardest thing to give away
And the last thing on your mind today
It always goes to those that don’t deserve

Forgiveness
Forgiveness

Even when the jury and the judge
Say you gotta right to hold a grudge
It’s the whisper in your ear saying ‘Set It Free’

Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

No comments:

Post a Comment